Search This Blog

Saturday, August 22, 2009

HOMEMADE MARASCHINO CHERRIES

I was looking at some of the blogs that I follow today. This one is from Cook Like Grandma. I've always loved Maraschino Cherries, so the idea of being able to make my own is pretty tempting! I just wish I knew how to can.

As always, I would really love to hear from anybody that tries one of the recipes from my blog! Please let me know what you think!
Thanks,
MissMouse


HOMEMADE MARASCHINO CHERRIES
3 lbs firm tart red cherries
8 cups cold water
2 tablespoons ascorbic acid, crystals
1 1/2 cups water
3 cups sugar
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 tablespoon almond extract

Directions
Remove pits from cherries. Combine 8 cups water and ascorbic acid. Stir until crystals are dissolved. Add cherries to the solution. Don't allow the fruit to remain more than 20 minutes. Rinse fruit; drain well.

Combine 1 1/2 cup water and sugar. Bring to a boil. Stir in food coloring and add the cherries.

Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes. Cool completely, allowing cherries to soak 24 hours.

Next day, bring to a boil and then stir in almond extract.

Pack hot cherries into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Shake jars to get firm pack.Bring syrup to a boil and ladle hot syrup into jars. Process in water bath for 15 minutes for 1/2 pint jars.

No comments: