Search This Blog

Monday, August 24, 2009

Cocada Pudding

So, occasionally, I get extremely lazy and buy TV dinners to serve for dinner. I usually end up with one of the 'Mexican' dinners when this happens. I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that one of the reasons I get this dinner is because I have always loved the silly little pudding that's included as a 'dessert' - So I decided to find the recipe to try it for myself!! I bet the home made version will be even better than that frozen thing!

I found this recipe on the Restaurant Assocation of Maryland's website.

As always, I would really love to hear from anybody that tries one of the recipes from my blog! Please let me know what you think!
Thanks,
MissMouse


Cocada Pudding
Submittor: Lisl Wilkinson (MHEF)

Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup water
3 inches cinnamon stick broken up
1 3 1/2-ounce can flaked cocnut
3 cups whole milk
4 eggs
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds (optional)

Directions
In an uncovered 2-quart saucepan, simmer sugar, water and cinnamon for 10 minutes. Strain; discard cinnamon pieces. Add coconut and cook, uncovered, for about 5 minutes or until sugar syrup is nearly absorbed, stirring frequently. Stir in 2 1/2 cups of the milk; cook until mixture is hot. In a bowl, beat eggs with remaining 1/2 cup of milk. Stir about 1 cup of hot mixture into egg mixture making sure not to "scramble" the eggs; pour egg mixture into saucepan. Cook and stir until mixture thickens slightly but does not boil. Stir in vanilla. Turn into a 1 1/2 quart bowl or individual serving dishes; chill. Whip cream and mound onto pudding. Garnish with almonds.Note: Be careful not to cook sugar coconut mixture into a hard nugget. Leave some water-sugar liquid at the bottom of the saucepan when the milk gets added.

Comments
This classic vanilla custard augmented by the intense perfume of cocnut, great when eaten slightly warm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So funny to read your comments about the pudding. My daughter has said the very same thing, and has ever so kindly sent me the recipe via your blog, so that I can make the pudding for her. Like she can't cook--she's well over 29--heehee--and has raised 2 children who didn't starve to death. Anyway, I think maybe this frozen dinner pudding needs a mother's touch...? On a personal note, it rather sounds like coconut flan.
TMD